Tomato Confit With Kalamata Olives And Capers
Add this delicious condiment to hot noodles and top with a shaving of cheese or spread it on crostini for quick hors d’ oeuvres. It makes a great relish to top grilled fish or chicken, too.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- A few turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons rinsed capers
Heat oil in sauté pan over medium heat and cook shallots until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Stir in sugar, red pepper flakes, vinegar, pepper, oregano, and tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer mixture on low until thick like jam, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool and fold in olives and capers. Can be stored for up to two weeks, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.