Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
From Rhonda DeVaux, R.D., Director of Food Services, Irvine Unified School District
Seconds of this iron and vitamin rich food are always in demand because it is so tasty.
- 2 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
In heavy skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef. Add onion flakes and garlic powder. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and seasonings. Simmer about 30 minutes. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Stir into sauce and serve piping hot.
Serves 6 (3/4 cup each)
Note: Freeze leftover tomato paste to use later.
Nutrition facts per serving: 580 cal (56% cal. from fat), 36g total fat (14g sat fat, 15g mono, 2g poly), 125mg chol., 190mg sodium, 28g carbo., 2g fiber, 35g pro. Daily Values: 15% vit. A, 25% vit. C, 6% calcium, 25% iron, 22% potassium.