Sausage With Friggione
(Salsiccia con Friggione)
- 5 to 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red or green sweet peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed or whole tomatoes
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds sweet Italian sausages
- 1 to 2 cups water
For the Friggione, heat oil in a large skillet. Add potatoes, onions, and peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Cook uncovered, over low heat 30 minutes, stirring several times. Press tomatoes through
food mill or sieve and discard seeds. Add pulp to skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat 25 to 30 minutes or until mixture reduces to a medium-thick consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, wash sausages. Puncture in several places with a fork. Put sausages in a large skillet and add water. Bring to a boil. Cook 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat, turning sausages once or twice, until water is all evaporated. Brown sausages on all sides. Add Friggione to skillet. Cook 5 to 8 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6
Adapted from Biba's Northern Italian Cooking. 2002. Biba Caggiano, HP Books